For this episode, I will be talking about myths around mediumship. I wanted to premise this by saying that most of the myths actually came from my Instagram audience. Two weeks ago, I posted the question, "What are some of the myths around mediumship that maybe you once believed, or you still believe, that you just don't feel 100% sure about?" in my stories.
Our experiences and the things we hear formulate our beliefs, but ultimately our beliefs are our choice. I first encountered mediumship by watching Sylvia Brown and John Edwards on TV at the age of 14. I read all of Sylvia Brown’s books in high school and I believed everything she wrote to be the truth without questioning it. There were things I read that scared me, but I wasn’t discerning and I realized through my own development that a lot of it simply wasn’t true.
I am not the holder of the ultimate truth about mediumship either, so I can only share from my lived experience. You may have a physical sensation or knowing when something feels like truth for you. If you’ve been following me for awhile, you know that I say to be flexible in your beliefs because they will likely shift as you experience more on your path.
This week is the Sitting in the Power (of You!) Challenge in the free Spirit School space and you are welcome to join us!
Sign up to be on the waitlist for The Initiation. Registration opens August 13!
Join us on the new FREE Spirit School platform for Sitting in the Power (of You!) week: https://myspiritschoolcollective.com/plans/
Join the Spirit School Collective: https://www.squamishmedium.com/spiritschoolcollective
Register for my Group Spirit Messages online mediumship demonstration tonight: https://squamishmedium.as.me/GroupSpiritMessages
Visit Spirit School at https://www.squamishmedium.com/ for all courses and upcoming programs
View full transcripts of podcast episodes at https://www.squamishmedium.com/blog
In this episode:
- It is hard for people to see the harm that can be caused if they wouldn’t be offended
- Q: You shouldn’t do readings until 6 months after someone passes
- Spirit’s ability to communicate and the sitter’s grief are reasons given for why
- That became less true as my confidence grew and I connected with people who recently passed
- Unclear communication may actually be evidence of their communication in life
- The quality of a reading is based on the three way link of spirit, the reader and the sitter
- It will be a struggle if the sitter is skeptical and not an open channel for the link
- Be open because there are multiple truths that can coexist in harmony at the same time
- Q: A common phrase is that all mediums are psychics, but not all psychics are mediums
- We tend to believe things blindly until we exposed other philosophies and experiences
- I don’t believe that our Creator chooses who has abilities and who doesn’t
- Q: Does everyone have the gift of mediumship? Yes!
- I believe we are all born with gifts but not everyone develops these abilities
- The fact that mediumship is even in your awareness is a sign from your soul
- I didn’t jump on the path the first few times it was brought to my awareness
- Skeptical people like my husband could develop but that doesn’t mean they will
- Q: Can you turn your abilities on and off?
- Yes, and there have only been a few times in 9 years that spirit has been pushy
- I have a lot of boundaries but there are people who are constantly surrounded by spirit
- There is permission granted, so I question what the motive is other than being showy
- Q: Thoughts on psychic residue versus haunted location
- Though I was a paranormal investigator, I am undecided on my beliefs about earthbound spirits
- We validated evidence the medium received, but we didn’t get any paranormal evidence
- I’ve been able to feel the energy of a place, like the previous owner of a home who had passed
- It wasn’t her stuck there because it was an intelligent, two-way conversation
- Aboriginal Medium Sean Leonard, who I highly regard, has EVP evidence and I trust him
- Q: My dad believes it's just tricks from the devil
- Ask how you feel about a belief and if it improves your quality of life.
- We can’t change someone’s beliefs for them
- Q: I don’t anymore, but i always believed that mediums identified as spiritual
- There is a spectrum of how much of a priority it is and there is a client for everyone
- Q: You need to study, practice for years to actually connect with spirit, unless born with it
- I believed that you have to pay your dues
- The time it took for me to step into the public had nothing to do with my connection to the divine
- A large part of our development is healing our human and building confidence
- Q: I don't have a loved one I'm trying to connect with so mediumship isn't for me.
- There is always someone we can connect to from our lineage
- Mediumship is evidential by nature, and can be difficult if the sitter can’t validate
- We can bring through what is current in their life, though this could come through psychic too
- The need in mediumship is part of the magic of the three way link (Spirit, sitter, reader)
- Registration for The Initiation opens August 13 if you are curious and interested in developing